[IL-CNM] more to think about

Darryn Dunbar runningstork at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 17:58:53 CST 2007

Barb,

  Two things...

  I don't think the purpose of the "midwifery model" discussion was to decide who the real midwives are.  It was more of a commentary on the livelihood of the hallmarks of midwifery care in the present healthcare system.  I think the good that came from that was that we are all bringing midwifery to women wherever we are.

  Second, can you tell us more about why ISAPN is not supporting this bill.  From how you, Jewel and Sarah have worded it, it makes sense to support it.  But I am also curious why our state professional organization is not on board.  That causes me concern.  If anyone can shed light on why that is, that'd be great.

  Thanks much,
Darryn

Barb Havens <BarbHavens at comcast.net> wrote:
  Now that we've had the 'Midwifery Model of Care' flushed out,.... I'd
like to move us to another area for discussion. It's not that I
haven't enjoyed reading everyone's input on just who the real midwives
are, but it has confirmed to me that most of us believe deeply that we
are being very true to our profession and are making a big difference
in women's lives. In this state, CNMs have contributed to the world of
obstetrics/gynecology in profound ways these past 40 years, and I feel
so lucky to be one of you all.
I now want to focus your attention to the Midwifery Licensure bill,
SB385, which was introduced 2/7/07. This will provide licensure for
midwives of Illinois as CPMs; these are the midwives who have been
working in the 'shadows', providing home birth throughout the state.
Some are great; some not so great. THis bill will establish criteria
for licensure, qualifications, professional conduct, rules, etc.
Personally, I am in support of this bill. I have read statements by
Sarah Simmons and Jewel Maeda, two of our home birth CNMs and they make
very compelling statements to why we should support this. This bill
will provide better access to home birth and be safer for the consumer.
On the last ISAPN legislative alert, they have stated opposition to
this bill.
So.........read this bill; You can access it online at www.ilga.gov
and then look up Senate bill # 385. I would like your feedback on it,
as well as to what our role and response (CNM and CNM chapter) should
be. If this passes, the largest challenge will be to educate our
legislators about who is who, as well as the general public. I
believe there is a role for both CNMs and CPMs in this state and that
women will have more choices and better access to the care they desire.
We are having our own 'lobby day' in Springfield on March 21st, and I
want to make sure that we have clear statements written out about who
everyone is in this dialogue about CNMs, APNs, and CPMs.

Sorry this got so long. Hope to see a lot of you on Tuesday, the
20th.

Barb Havens

Darryn W. Dunbar, APN/CNM, MS
  Certified Nurse-Midwife
  "Big Runner D"
  Read my marathon training blog and/or consider a donation at:
  http://aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=CH-0101&EventCode=CH06