[IL-CNM] ISAPN positions

Nancy Fleming nancy-fleming at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 28 08:20:16 CST 2007

I want to clarify ISAPN's position regarding the birth center bill (SB264). It appeared on our listserve that ISAPN does not support this bill, however, that is NOT true;  ISAPN does support SB264.

  I am including the direct response of Maria Schmidt, ISAPN's Executive Director, whom I wrote asking for clarification.  She indicates ISAPN's position below
  ---------

    Nancy,
  The ISAPN Client Briefing (February 27, e mailed to members today) reports that ISAPN supports SB 264, the Birth Center Alternative Delivery Model bill sponsored by Senator Cullerton.  The ISAPN position on several direct entry bills is also reported in the Client Briefing.  Please refer to the briefing, which can be accessed from the ISAPN website for more information.

      Maria, Maria Schmidt, Executive Director
  Illinois Society for Advanced Practice Nursing
  PO Box 1735
  Springfield, IL  62705
  (217) 525-3474     (866) 464-5276     fax (217) 525-2842
  maria at isapn.org
  www.isapn.org

  From the latest ISAPN Legislative Briefing:

  Birthing Centers
Sen. Cullerton is sponsoring legislation (SB 264) allowing for 10 birth center alternative health care model pilot programs throughout the state.  It also allows a certified nurse midwife to be the Director of Nursing who is responsible for the development of policies and procedures midwifery.  This legislation has been assigned to the Public Health Committee.  ISAPN supports this legislation.

  Midwifery Licensure
Rep. Mary Flowers (HB 388), Rep. Jim Sacia (HB 1404), and State Senator Bill Haine (SB 385) all have introduced separate legislation creating licensure acts for Professional Midwives (Direct Entry or Lay Midwives).  Though the outcome is the same (licensure), the actual language differs in each of these proposals. Neither proposal requires formalized education.  HB 388 was sent to committee February 8th; however it has not been called.  SB 385 was assigned to the Senate Licensed Activities committee, last week.  It was not heard in committee.  Senator Haine filed an amendment on the bill however the amendment contains flaws as well.  The general position is that we oppose licensure if formalized education is not required.