***SPAM*** RE: [IL-CNM] Fwd: Re: SB385

Gabzdyl, Elizabeth egabzdyl at uic.edu
Fri May 18 10:26:38 CDT 2007

Therese,
I think people will continue to ask this question for many years to come!
The public is not well enough informed on the role of advanced practice
nurses and CNM's.

Allow me to clarify...CPM's or "Licensed midwives" are not "Lay Midwives".
Having lived in a state for over 10 years where CPM's (Licenced
Midwives)practiced legally, and Seattle Midwifery School existed and CNM's
and CPM's practiced and co-existed well, there is confusion about roles
whether we all existed and practice legally (Washington) or not
(Illinois).

CNM presence is becoming stronger over time as ACNM statistics reflect,
but we aren't there yet. The public does not know that 97% of CNM births
are in hospitals. The public still believes that CNM's go to people's
homes and our patients can't have any drugs or epidurals. And I do not
believe it's because CPM's are trying to get licensed to practice in all
states. I believe that the public does not know enough about who we are
and what we really do.

If you'd like to learn more about what types of requirements CPM's meet to
enter a program or what the education is like, I invite you to look at the
Seattle Midwifery School website. I did that recently and learned even
more about CPM's. They go through rigorous programs (as CNM's do-just
different) and are very well trained. It is the true "Lay Midwife" without
the formal training that I have serious reservations about. Not CPM's.

CPM's are very well trained to deliver safely in homes and birth centers.
I believe that they should be granted the licenses and the places to
practice what they have been well trained to do!

Liz